The Nonprofit Social Media Summit sponsored by Neon One is back and bigger than ever! Go to nonprofitsocialmediasummit.com to get your free ticket, and you’ll get access to the complete session line-up, with speakers on social media advertising, LinkedIn for nonprofits, AI and ChatGPT, influencer marketing, YouTube strategy, and more. You can upgrade your ticket to get the recordings, slides, and a special bonus live training with me to plan for next year. I know you are a smart cookie. If you want to know what’s working right now in social media, and how to best plan for the future, you’ll want to join me and Neon One in November. Go to nonprofitsocialmediasummit.com right now to get your free ticket. See you there!
In this episode, I sit down with Kat Murphy, the Director of Digital Strategy for GivingTuesday, to discuss the state of philanthropy and generosity in today’s world.
We debunk the myth that financial giving is down and highlight the importance of radical generosity and community care.
Kat shares her personal experience with Parateros, a mutual aid collective in Chicago, and emphasizes the need for nonprofits to create more on-ramps for people to actively participate in their missions.
Kat gives us her best tips on getting the most out of GivingTuesday, the importance of setting clear goals, developing a multichannel campaign, and engaging supporters in meaningful ways.
- Radical generosity and community care are essential for building a more resilient and equitable society.
- People want to be actively involved in causes and have agency in creating change, rather than just giving money.
- Nonprofits should focus on creating on-ramps for people to participate in their missions and provide opportunities for active involvement.
- Collaboration and community organizing are key to successful GivingTuesday campaigns.
- Nonprofits should think beyond financial donations and offer different ways for people to contribute and participate.
Awesome Quotes From This Episode:
“We need to radically change the way we behave as a society to center community care and actively participate in making a difference.” – Kat Murphy
“Young people do not want to donate to your cause. They want to have an active role in creating change.” – Kat Murphy
“Giving Tuesday is an enormous moment of joy. People want to participate in a global movement that celebrates something different.” – Kat Murphy
Connect with Kat:
- @Kat_MurphyToms – Twitter
- @TodoParaTodos35 – Instagram
- Rethinking Resilience: Insights from the Giving Ecosystem
About Julia Campbell, the host of Nonprofit Nation
Named as a top thought leader by Forbes and BizTech Magazine, Julia Campbell is an author, coach, and speaker on a mission to make the digital world a better place. Check out Julia’s: