I’m so excited to share with you my new book – Storytelling in the Digital Age: A Guide for Nonprofits!
I wrote this book for you – the busy nonprofit practitioner who wants to raise money and increase awareness in order to grow your organization and showcase the great work of your nonprofit to more people. I get it!
Storytelling is the most effective way to grow support and to keep donors engaged. It’s all about crafting authentic, real, emotional stories about the work that you do every day.
Sharing gripping stories using social media is a powerful way to showcase the results of your work. Social media, combined with great websites, blogs, and email tactics, is being used successfully to raise awareness and substantially increase fundraising success.
But with all the digital tools available, how can you, as a busy nonprofit professional, choose where to place your focus? How do you identify, collect, and craft these wonderful stories that will compel people to take action? How can you mold these stories for each digital and social media platform? What are the steps you can take to develop a plan for your storytelling campaign, to ensure that you won’t just be spinning your wheels?
That’s where Storytelling in the Digital Age: A Guide for Nonprofits comes in. In this book, I guide you every step of the way in a conversational, fast-reading style designed for busy people like your bad self.
- Show you where to find and how to collect the best stories about your nonprofit’s work and impact.
- Describe the ways to tell an effective story, developing a narrative arc and hook, and how to focus on people versus programs in your stories.
- Address the unique and very real challenges that nonprofits face when sharing stories about their work online, including confidentiality obstacles and reluctance on the behalf of staff and volunteers.
- Give you tips on creating a culture of storytelling at your nonprofit, even if you have never told stories or used social media before.
- Walk you through the steps required to identify, recruit, cultivate, and motivate your very own army of storytellers to spread the word about your cause.
- Give you storytelling strategies that will turn your supporters from passive readers into passionate advocates.
- Provide you with the nuts and bolts of creating a plan for a digital storytelling campaign.
- Show you how to integrate storytelling into your nonprofit website.
- Give you the basics of blogging for your nonprofit, as well as a brief description of the major blogging platforms.
- Cover the best practices in nonprofit email marketing, how to build a powerful email list, and how to integrate email marketing efforts with your website and social media channels.
- Explain the basic principles of using social media to tell your nonprofit story and how to best incorporate visuals in your social media storytelling.
- Provide tips on using video to tell your stories, including leveraging the popularity and unique perspective of live streaming platforms
“Our brains are not hard-wired to understand logic or retain facts for very long. Our brains are wired to understand and retain stories… A story is a journey that moves the listener, and when the listener goes on that journey, they feel different, and the result is persuasion and sometimes action.” — Jennifer Aaker, marketing professor at Stanford’s Graduate School of Business
“I think a lot of organizations, companies and nonprofits make themselves the hero: ‘We are feeding the world. Look how great we are.’ And I think charity: water has always said, ‘Look how great you are. You care; you’re giving money. You’re giving time and you’re making this possible.” — charity: water CEO Scott Harrison
Do you need a step-by-step guide to creating digital storytelling campaigns?
You are in luck!
Sign up and get a free chapter of my new book, Storytelling in the Digital Age: A Guide for Nonprofits. This book is designed to be a step-by-step how-to guide for small and mid-size nonprofits that want to learn how to set goals, measure results, and carry out amazingly successful digital storytelling campaigns!
When you sign up, you will also receive my free weekly bulletin with tips, tricks, and advice for savvy nonprofits on how to kick butt at online marketing and fundraising.