It’s no secret that charities of all sizes have had to rethink their gala, auction, and fundraising event strategy in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. How can we continue to set an event strategy – virtual or in-person – in light of COVID-19? What’s changed, and how can we adapt?
My guest this week is an expert on events, auctions, and galas. Sherry Truhlar is President of Red Apple Auctions, a boutique auction firm focused on nonprofit galas. Since leaving her corporate marketing job, she’s worked as a cheeky auctioneer onstage and a trusted resource offstage for anyone seeking to improve the profitability of a fundraising gala. Though her public work has taken her to nearly every state and placed her alongside A-list celebrities, the bulk of her time is spent educating thousands of gala planners via her free Benefit Auction Ideas videos and newsletter.
What we cover in this episode:
- Setting a gala strategy in light of COVID-19 – how has it changed?
- How to get guests to attend your auction
- Tips about audio systems for fundraising auctions
- How to get volunteers to procure auction items, including experiences
- How to best utilize volunteers
- Where are virtual events going
- What’s the future for auctions
Connect with Sherry:
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/sherrytruhlar/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/redappleauctions
- YouTube: www.YouTube.com/SherryTruhlar
- Website: https://www.redappleauctions.com/
About Julia Campbell, the host of the Nonprofit Nation podcast:
Named as a top thought leader by Forbes and BizTech Magazine, Julia Campbell (she/hers) is an author, coach, and speaker on a mission to make the digital world a better place.
She wrote her book, Storytelling in the Digital Age: A Guide for Nonprofits, as a roadmap for social change agents who want to build movements using engaging digital storytelling techniques. Her second book, How to Build and Mobilize a Social Media Community for Your Nonprofit, was published in 2020 as a call-to-arms for mission-driven organizations to use the power of social media to build movements.
Julia’s online courses, webinars, and keynote talks have helped hundreds of nonprofits make the shift to digital thinking and how to do effective marketing in the digital age.
Take Julia’s free nonprofit masterclass, 3 Must-Have Elements of Social Media That Converts