One of my favorite nonprofit technology evangelists is Amy Sample Ward, the innovative and creative CEO of the Nonprofit Technology Network (NTEN).
Association Mavens has an insightful interview with Amy, and her perspective about social media, nonprofits and the future of nonprofit technology.
The most important point Amy makes is regarding the tendency of nonprofits to jump on the latest new social media channel, just because they see other organizations using it:
You don’t have to be using Instagram if your community is not using Instagram…As an association if you were getting invitations to speak at all these different conferences, some of which have nothing to do with your industry, nothing to do with your members, we wouldn’t think twice about not going there.
And yet when it comes to social media, we think, ‘I saw in the newspaper that this organization ran a campaign on this channel; we need to do that too!’ Why? Why do you need to that?
This interview covers the following questions, and more:
- What is the core fundamental thing we should understand about these channels? Is there anything else that you would share with us regarding the topic of putting together a multi-channel strategy on social media?
- What are the top three trends that you are seeing right now?
- Associations have been graduating from Social Media 101 and moving on to the next level. Can you share some of the ways that member-based organizations have begun doing this?
- Can you tell us how things have changed for you personally moving from the role of Membership Director to CEO at NTEN? How is it different? What new adventures have you been involved in?
- How long has it been since moving into your new role of CEO at NTEN?
Do you need a step-by-step guide to creating digital storytelling campaigns?
You are in luck!
Sign up and get a free chapter of my new book, Storytelling in the Digital Age: A Guide for Nonprofits. This book is designed to be a step-by-step how-to guide for small and mid-size nonprofits that want to learn how to set goals, measure results, and carry out amazingly successful digital storytelling campaigns!
When you sign up, you will also receive my free weekly bulletin with tips, tricks, and advice for savvy nonprofits on how to kick butt at online marketing and fundraising.